Monday, June 16, 2008

This is the Story of The Little Red Hen

The Little Red Hen was 'born' 20-some years ago and 'lived' in an old Victorian house in Mitchell, SD. In these early days, Gloria the owner sold handmade wares from area consignors. I (Cathy) bought the shop in February, 2000. I was a stay-at-home mom and self-proclaimed fabric floozy. It was always my dream to own such a shop. I knew next to nothing about retail business, but I was as determined as The Little Red Hen that my shop was named after.

Gradually adding retail treasures of a primitive nature to compliment the handmade items, I moved the shop to a Main Street location in March, 2003. My husband who calls himself 'The Rooster' even built a loft in that store unlike anything I'd ever imagined. Well, that little shop was not to be......After just a year on Main Street, we lost everything in a fire.

I guess we're never given more challenges and difficulties than we can handle; there was no doubt that I'd rebuild my business, even though it was to be in a very tiny temporary location. Less than two months after the fire, The Little Red Hen was again a part of Main Street Mitchell. And good things do indeed come to those who wait! In June, 2005 my 'Rooster' and I bought a building on Main Street and with the help of dear friends and our children The Little Red Hen has her place of honor by the front door to greet all of our guests.

Robyn joined our little 'henhouse' in 2007. She's my web-mistress and my right hand! Along with Joan, Kathy and Micki we try to make shopkeeping, rearranging, designing, and window-decorating lots of fun! I just couldn't do it without these girls!

Trends and styles change....we offer our customers the very best in Countrypolitan treasures---that is, the warmth and comfort of home blended with urban sophistication. We still carry a line of very high quality handmade gifts and goods, some even made right in our very own sewing room.

We sure would like to see you soon! Stop in and visit!

No comments: